This September, Arrangements Abroad offers its very first cruise by luxury barge — a unique exploration of Belgium and Holland. Experience the Low Countries with just 30 fellow travelers on this intimate voyage. Here are nine wonderful reasons to sign up.
1. A seven-night stay aboard Magnifique II.This comfortable barge features a salon, restaurant, bar, and lounge, where you can mingle with fellow passengers from our small group. Relax on the covered sun deck, or watch the passing scenery through large picture windows. Complimentary bicycles are available to use ashore.
2. Exceptional value! Rates start at just $3,995 per person, double occupancy, and include a full program of lectures and excursions as well as airport/pier transfers, onboard meals, beer and wine at dinners, daily guided or self-guided bike tours, and all gratuities aboard and ashore.
3. Lecturer Jim Salzman, visiting professor of environmental law at Harvard University. Jim is one of the world’s leading experts on drinking water, a topic that we don’t often think about but is crucial to human survival. The first 20 people to sign up for the cruise will receive a complimentary copy of his book, Drinking Water: A History.
4. Beautiful Bruges, a UNESCO-listed city brimming with sublime architecture and art. Go inside a historic church to see the only sculpture by Michelangelo in the Low Countries (and the only one to leave Italy during his lifetime), or admire the superb collection of Hans Memling paintings in the Hospital of St. John.
5. The windmills of Kinderdijk. These 19 neatly aligned windmills have earned this historic village a UNESCO listing. After your visit, stop at a nearby farm for a specially arranged lunch featuring Dutch specialties.
6. A tour of the Antwerp City Brewery, in operation for more than 180 years. Learn about the brewing process through an interactive exhibit, followed by a sampling of classic beers and ales, each served in its own unique glass.
7. The Gouda Cheese Market. Chat with vendors and sample their wares at this world-renowned market. This video offers a preview of what your experience will be like.
8. Optional bike tours. Take advantage of the gentle, even terrain of the Low Countries as you pedal through beautiful scenery and along picturesque canals.
9. Het Loo Palace. The former summer residence of the Dutch royal family offers magnificent works of art and symmetrical Baroque gardens, delightful for leisurely strolling.